Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Visitor Observations

James and I observed a number of ways that towns can motivate you to see things in your town, or conversely really turn you off. Being on the road over 150 days/year I see a lot of things that towns could do to enhance their image. Here are a few that we saw on this trip.

Oxford, MS, (have I told you that it is one of my favorites?) really has its act together. In each of the hotel rooms they have a monthly calendar in a plastic stand that tells you of the special things going on in the town each day of the month. Neat idea!

Each hotel we stayed at had key cards that promoted pizza or the hotel. Why doesn’t some town buy a bunch of these inexpensive key cards, give them to the hotels in their town and promote their community on them? Think of the thousands or tens of thousands of visitors that are going thru your town each year. What would it cost to capture one of them with info on your town while they are staying in your town?

My big complaint of the trip was stopping at two Welcome Centers/Chambers offices and finding them closed during the middle of the day. One of my pet peeves is that Welcome Centers aren’t run more on the schedule of travelers, closing at 5 pm and on weekends when more are traveling. I would have loved to have learned more about two of my agurbs®; Hammond, LA and Pontotoc, MS, on this trip. I did like the mural on the wall next to the closed Chamber office in Pontotoc.

1 comment:

Lonnie E. Holder said...

Agurbs as you appear to use them does not seem to be covered by a registered USPTO trademark. If that is the case, you are in violation of federal law, and may be engaged in a deceptive practice.

Thank you,
Lonnie