Sunday, August 21, 2005

AZ Growth Continues

“We just landed a new tissue plant, Aztec Tissue, in Snowflake that will start out employing 150 and eventually grow to 250,” an economic developer told me. Lynn Perez-Hewitt, of the regional Cooper Corridor Economic Development Coalition related, “Near Hayden we just landed Republic Plastics, which is a private label manufacturer of Styrofoam plates and bowls for such companies as Wal-Mart and Kroger. They will start with 100 employees and hope to grow to 150.”

What is it with this growth spurt in rural areas like Snowflake and Hayden? It is something that I’m observing more and more as I travel around the country. Growth is happening more and more in rural America rather than in the big cities.

Snowflake (population 4,460) is one of my agurbs® that I found in my research for Boomtown. Hayden (population 892) is a much smaller community where 100 new jobs will have a huge impact.

I was in AZ this week at the Arizona Department of Commerce’s Rural Development Conference. I was out there giving the keynote talk on my many experiences in AZ, relating them to my research. There are a number of vibrant rural towns in AZ and I’ve been very impressed with my increasing visits to the state.

It has been a busy week for me, but one that I cherish and I’m having a ball. I’ll have a few more blogs on AZ in the next week or so, relating some of the interesting conversations that I had at the conference, intermingling them with my numerous ND blogs.

1 comment:

Lonnie E. Holder said...

Agurbs as you appear to use them does not seem to be covered by a registered USPTO trademark. If that is the case, you are in violation of federal law, and may be engaged in a deceptive practice.

Thank you,
Lonnie