Friday, August 19, 2005

The Agurbs® vs. the Creative Class Supposed Hot Spots

Yesterday I pointed out that Richard Florida’s list of cities that were poised for economic success weren’t cracking up to be everything he predicted. I’m questioning his premise that the hip and gay hubs will be more economically successful due to their ‘cultural cultivation.’ It seems there is a flaw in his theory because his top cities were population losers vs. the “unhip” cities that are having strong growth.
Looking at the metro growth got me to wondering how my Top 100 Agurbs® would stack up against Richard Florida’s hand picked culture enclaves. He didn’t do so hot!

From 2000 to 2004 my Top 100 Agurbs® grew an average of 6.6% while Florida’s top 10 cities (see yesterday’s post for list) only grew 1.0% over the same time period. I mentioned yesterday that his lowest 10 cities had better growth than his top 10 with 1.4% growth. We blew them out of the water too.

Like I said before, Richard Florida’s list isn’t living up to the hype. But I’m not surprised, I’ve known all along that the agurbs® are the happen’n places (is that hip enough for you?!!)

1 comment:

Lonnie E. Holder said...

Agurbs as you appear to use them does not seem to be covered by a registered USPTO trademark. If that is the case, you are in violation of federal law, and may be engaged in a deceptive practice.

Thank you,
Lonnie