Saturday, August 13, 2005

College Travels—OK Agurbs®

We logged almost 2,500 miles in the past week searching for the perfect college. My son James and I traveled thru MO, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, TN and AR making a big circle as we visited not only colleges but as many of my agurbs as possible. It was also his 18th birthday, which was the first that he had ever spent away from his twin brother Joseph. He wished that they could have celebrated it together.

Our first stop was Stillwater, OK where Oklahoma State University is located. I’ve been to Stillwater several times and am always impressed with the community. It was James’ first visit and got a “two thumbs up”.

We had dinner at Eskimo Joe’s, a nationally known bar/restaurant that just celebrated its 30th anniversary with bed races and other activities. It has become an institution in Stillwater, growing from a single restaurant to three others: Stillwater Bay; Mexico Joe’s and Joseppi’s along with a retail store and catalog (www.eskimojoes.com).

Norman was also impressive. It was the first time that either James or I had been there. I was impressed with their Wind Power Trail (www.windpowertrail.com) which connects Norman with 17 other OK and TX towns that have a common thread. I’m researching additional information that I hope to post on this regional cooperative effort in a future blog.

Both OSU and OU made James’ final cut. OK is an impressive state that is on the move, so it pleased me greatly.

No comments: