Monday, May 22, 2006

Relocating Artists

Steve & Carol McGahey of Palestine, IL (population 1,366) are two of the leaders who are remaking their historic community into an artists’ colony. I was in nearby Robinson, one of my agurbs®, addressing their graduating class of leadership training and toured Palestine prior to the talk.

Carol had written to me earlier this year for a blog that I did on January 3rd, “Last month we had a family move from Chicago to start a small studio. We also have purchased a building for an Artist Co-op.” On the tour Steve told me, “We’ve already got five artists here and two galleries. One of our artists has his work in the Smithsonian Museum.”

They’ve set up a special financing program for new artists, have wonderfully old buildings in their downtown and are very proud of their town. If you get a chance be sure to visit them when you are in SE IL.

Their website is www.artistrelocationproject.com.

No comments: