Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Almost Didn’t Finish High School

I told the graduating class of Leadership Training in Robinson, IL that I almost didn’t finish high school because of the town.

I was a senior in high school and the PGA was holding the Robinson Open in the town. Robinson, with a population of 6,822, was the smallest town to ever hold a PGA tour event at the time. I took off from school for three days in the spring of my senior year to caddy for Ed Snead, nephew of J. C. Snead. When I returned to school on Monday morning the high school principal didn’t see any educational value in my experience and threatened to suspend my upcoming diploma.

I’m not sure that she could do that, but she sure had my attention that day. I’ve always held a soft spot in my heart for Robinson as a result of the great experience of that weekend, even if Sister Stephanie didn’t understand it.

No comments: