Friday, January 14, 2005

Wacky Warning Labels

The absurdity of our litigious society really hit home to me when I read the Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch’s “Wacky Warning Label Contest.” I have to question how much lower we can go as a society when companies are forced to label their products to protect their clients and avoid lawsuits.

First prize was a label on a toilet brush saying, “Do not use for personal hygiene.” Huh? Please don’t show me a picture of someone trying to do that.

Second prize was on a child’s scooter saying, “This product moves when used.” And third prize was a digital thermometer saying, “Once used rectally, the thermometer should not be used orally.” Don’t spend much time visualizing that one either.

The response from the trial lawyers supportive group Center for Justice and Democracy wasn’t unexpected, “It’s much better to be very cautious.”

I think that we are carrying our litigious nature a bit far.

No comments: