Saturday, January 29, 2005

California’s Loss is Idaho’s Gain

I was in Idaho yesterday, touring some great companies and communities. I’ll write more on my experiences in this next week as I compose my many pages of notes.

I saw this article in today’s Business Week Online http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/jan2005/sb20050125_3571.htm?campaign_id=nws_insdr_jan28&link_position=link17 and wanted to get it out to my readers. Buck Knives, a fourth generation company based in San Diego, is moving their production to Post Falls, Idaho. They calculate that they will save at least $3 million per year with this move because of the lower costs of operating (utility costs, workers compensation, etc.) in a rural location like Post Falls. C. J. Buck, 4th Generation CEO, said, “California is not a good place to have a manufacturing business.”

Buck Knives is one of many California companies that are fleeing its anti-business climate. More will follow. States like Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Arizona and others will gain as a result.

No comments: