Sunday, January 23, 2005

Entrepreneurial Focus in Economic Development

Before each of my talks I try to introduce myself to as many people as possible in the audience. I learn a lot about the community and hopefully get some idea of what makes it tick.

In Mt. Airy, NC I was struck by the number of entrepreneurs that I met. I also was impressed with how youthful many of them were. Too often, I’m going to communities where the average age is north of where I’m at, which doesn’t bode well for youthful, new ideas percolating up.

During the 10th Annual Meeting of the Surry County Economic Development Partnership they talked about their focus upon developing their own businesses and encouraging an entrepreneurial approach. An Angelou Economics CEDS report cited at the meeting showed that “entrepreneurship will be responsible for more than 70 percent of the economic development in the U. S.”

Bill Johnson, Chairman of the Partnership, wrote in their annual report, “Today’s entrepreneurs will grow into tomorrow’s major employers. They need our help with planning, organization and capital.” Surry County is working closely with new entrepreneurs, sponsoring an annual business plan competition along with other efforts to enhance entrepreneurism.

Surry County gets it! Entrepreneurism is the new paradigm shift in economic development.

No comments: