Thursday, January 06, 2005

Lost Job, Create New One

He lost his job and his daughter just got accepted to a private college. What would you do? Russell Forquer is like a lot of people I’ve met on the road over the past year. These are people who don’t give up, but when the chips are down decide to become their own boss, taking the entrepreneurial plunge. Russell is such an entrepreneur.

He worked for GE, IBM and DEC for 25 years, developing an expertise in computers and technology. When DEC closed their Erie, PA office he was suddenly out of a job. So he started Forquer Group, Inc. with three goals: “No debt; No inventory; and Work only with good people.” Today, 10 years later, he’s grown the business from a one-man show into a company with 29 employees. He’s recruited employees back home to northwest Pennsylvania, many who got tired of the rat-race of the big city.

Why has he been successful? He told me, “I’ve dealt with the way things were vs. the way I would like them to be. I unequivocally believed that I could continue to sell to my customers. And, I had a great deal of help and support form my friends and customers. I have learned that where there is change, usually there is opportunity. The challenge is to embrace the change, locate the opportunity and reap the rewards!” Great vision, from an inspiring entrepreneur!

No comments: