Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday Madness!


I knew that I had to go see for myself, when my son James kept talking about today’s Black Friday sales that were going on at Kohl’s, where he works. James, the night owl of the family, was excited about having to go into work at 3:30 am. James!

So, when I woke up at 4:30 this morning, I slipped on my clothes and drove into Effingham. I had expected to see several cars on the Kohl’s parking lot but not full! And, so full cars had overflowed onto the grass in all directions! Sunrise was still 2 hours away.

The line to check out snaked from the front to the back of the store, with at least 200 people in line. Theresa Schackmann and her daughters Erin & Nichole who were close to the cash registers had been in line for over 30 minutes and my cousin Janie Schultz was at the back, holding a place for her daughter-in-law Michelle who was still out finding bargains. It was “old home week” in the checkout line as I met a host of friends who I hadn’t seen in awhile.

By now my curiosity was piqued so it was over to Wal-Mart. After driving the parking lot for 15 minutes, unable to find a parking spot, I opted for a grassy lot across the road. Absolute bedlam, were the two words that came to my mind as I tried to navigate my way in the store. I gave up trying to get to the electronics department, and judging from the dozens of abandoned shopping carts in the aisles, so had a number of other people. It was difficult enough to get through the aisles just walking!

Menards hadn’t opened yet but the line outside the store of over 100 people obviously wasn’t letting that stand in their way. Stocking hats and camouflage hunting jackets were the fashion choice of those shoppers waiting for the “door busting” bargains.

If you aren’t a “true shopper” and consider Black Friday a day to catch up on projects like I do, take a few minutes to experience the incredible buying power of the American consumer. It is alive and well in Effingham!

No comments: