Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Eighter from Decatur


On my way to Duncan, OK for a tour and talk I stopped briefly in Decatur, TX, one of my top 100 agurbs®. It is a picturesque town that has been going through a growth spurt that in some ways started when the citizens of the town voted to tax themselves an extra half-cent sales tax for the purposes of economic development.

Thom Lambert, Executive Director of the Decatur EDC, told me of how they developed the slogan, Eighter from Decatur, “There was a cowboy shooting craps in Dallas who needed a ‘hard eight’ (two fours). There was a lady of the night who he liked in Decatur whose name was Eighter. He yelled ‘Eighter from Decatur’, hit the number and it stuck.”

He went on, “It is a way for us to differentiate ourselves from the twenty other Decaturs in the country.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The word "cater" represents the four in dice. I think you're right that the first person to utter "Eighter from Decatur" was looking for a hard eight. But I don't think any lady of the night enters into it.