Saturday, June 03, 2006

Village of the Porches

Greenup, IL (population 1,532) certainly lives up to its billing as the “Village of the Porches,” which predominates in the downtown area. It is a very unique feature of their downtown that they are trying to capitalize upon. When I was in town giving a talk to their growing Chamber of Commerce, I told them that I had only seen one other town that compared….Oxford, MS, one of my favorite downtowns.

Greenup has a number of other attributes for a town its size. They have a wonderfully restored soda fountain and confectionery; vineyard; and a new covered bridge. Being on the old National Trail also offers some interesting tourist potential.

But it is those porches that I kept thinking about as I drove out of town. How could Greenup brand itself more with those porches and use it as a springboard to new opportunities?

No comments: