Friday, June 02, 2006

Positively Spencer

I am rejuvenated when I meet young people like the group of 10 from Spencer, IA (population 11,317) who formed Positively Spencer a couple of years ago. I met them at the Alliant Energy Conference in Okoboji, where I was speaking.

“We don’t have any elected positions within the community. We don’t even have a bank account, but we are a group of people who care deeply about the town. We’re not doing Positively Spencer to benefit the town for 2006 or 2007. We’re hoping that what we are doing is affecting Spencer in 2015 and 2025 and 2030.” Kevin Robinson, a local banker, who is one of the original 10 explained to me about the group.

The group has identified a significant number of people in the 22 to 40 year age bracket who have moved to the town because of jobs and chosen to stay because it was where they wanted to raise a family. Robinson went on, “We think that we are the fourth leg of economic development. The quality of life is so critical for our future.” He was referring to my earlier talk in which I stressed that ED is dependent upon three legs: Job Retention, Job Recruitment and Entrepreneurism.

I couldn’t have agreed with them more and enjoyed talking with them about what they are doing to create a positive environment in Spencer. It is a model that other towns could and should copy.

No comments: