Sunday, January 29, 2006

Promoting to the Heads in Your Beds

I was flipping thru the channels in my hotel and was intrigued by a program on the history of a small town that was nearby. The previous weekend my wife and I stayed at Union Station in St. Louis where we had watched a video on the TV on the history and rebuilding of that wonderfully historic building.

Then a light bulb went on. Why don’t I see these type of videos in small towns as I travel around? Every big city has a program on the closed circuit TVs in the hotel rooms, which highlights attractions and the history of their city. Why not in small towns?

It would be a fairly simple and relatively inexpensive program to produce. The small town hotels surely have the same systems as the big cities. And, it could grab those overnight guests for maybe a few more hours or even days touring in the town.

If you don’t have enough hotel rooms in your town to justify, why not do something on a regional basis, bringing together several towns or counties on a joint project? It could act just like the Handmade in America, that I’ve blogged on numerous times, has redone western NC.

No comments: