Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Artist Relocation

Even small towns are jumping onto the arts trend that I outlined yesterday in my top 10 trends. I received the following email from a town of 1,366 that is close to home, right along the Wabash River. I hope to go visit soon, after receiving Carol McGahey’s following email:.

Dear Mr. Schultz,

I could not believe it when I read your article on Monday, January 2, 2006 about the Agurb trends for 2006. Your number 2 (Arts & Culture) describes our town, Palestine, Illinois (yes, the little town that is only 1 hour from you). Palestine has started an "Artist Relocation Project." we have been working on getting more artist to our small community, we already have a few artist that work and live in our community. Last month we had a family move from Chicago to start a small studio.

We also have purchased a building for an Artist Co-op. Once we get the building remodeled we will be opening it up for artist who need help in starting and running a business and for those that do not feel they have the time or money to keep a business opened.

We meet every Friday morning at 8 am. Our goal is to have everything up and running by this summer. By they way, this is all done with volunteer people that want to keep our small town alive. Please come visit our town.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is so great that she wrote you the lette! you think you are going to go and visit? i think it would be really great if you would!

Cheers,
Barb

BoomtownUSA said...

Absolutely! I've been there a couple of times since I received her letter. I've added posts on my visits on April 21 & 22, 2008 and May 26, 2006. Hope that you get a chance to read them.

jack