Sunday, December 11, 2005

My Marathon—Half, That Is!

Well, I accomplished all three of my goals for the ½ Marathon that I ran yesterday. I did complete the course, running the entire 13.1 miles in just over two hours (official time 2:06:21). I also found muscles that I didn’t ever know that I had.

Most importantly, I beat my brother Bob by about 5 minutes. I had shot out into the lead over him and his wife Audra in the first mile, but they caught me at about the 8.5-mile marker, making some rude comments about “not believing that I had held them off for so long.” I caught up with them in about a mile, passing Bob without much effort.

The Kenyans did not show up. They don’t run unless there is prize money and Kiawah is a prize-less race. I did finish before the winner of the marathon by about 15 or 20 minutes, but want to remind you that he ran 26.2 miles to my 13.1.

My sister Mary Lacksen finished fourth in her age class. She and her husband Jeff finished the race hand in hand.

I had a great time, shocking my family with my finish. Of course they were going to be shocked with any finish.

No comments: