Monday, December 19, 2005

Is Your Community Mean-Spirited or Kind

Don Iannone raised an interesting question for communities in his blog yesterday (http://www.don-iannone.com/edfutures/index.html), asking if your town is mean-spirited and desperate or if it is kind and willing to sacrifice for others. I have seen a similar approach in researching my book and in my travels. Here is Don’s blog on the subject:

I have been noticing two interesting tendencies in the places where my consulting work takes me. The first is a tendency toward mean-spiritedness and desperation. The second is a tendency toward kindness and sacrifice for others. Of the two, the second is clearly preferred. And yes, both tendencies are found in all communities.

Let's look at each.

Suffering Leaders

Leaders in many communities have allowed themselves to become calloused, jaded, ungrateful, judgmental of others, and overally self-critical. Some seem to excuse this behavior as appropriate and acceptable because "that's what leaders must do to get things done." This behavior exists in growing and declining communities alike.

As I explore why these leaders are so unhappy, I discover that many suffer from two related conditions: low self-esteem and extreme egocentrism. Many leaders are unhappy because they can't wave a magic wand over the community and transform it into some "magical economic wonderland." Many suffer because they are obsessed with making businesses happy at the expense of people.

I listen to what these leaders have to say when they ask my firm to take a "hard look" at their competitive advantages and what needs to be done to make the place more attractive to businesses. I see the leaders of these communities and states blaming themselves and their citizens for not doing enough for business competitiveness. As I listen to them further, I hear anger and blame, which masks the underlying fear, apprehension, and worry they carry around in their gut. I work at feeling compassion and understanding for these leaders.

Joyful Leaders

Then, there are leaders in places that demonstrate a sincere concern about people, unprecedented acts of kindness, caring, and generosity. I hear true empathy and compassion, and not blame and ridicule, in these leaders' voices. These places are also concerned about their competitiveness, but they are not willing to throw people aside at the expense of unaffordable incentive packages or other actions that permit businesses to do what they shouldn't do anywhere. I see a courage to care, love, and respect in the faces of these leaders. Joyful leaders are found in both growing and declining places.

The second set of voices gives me hope that something we might call "humanistic economic development" is possible in our field in the future.

Of the two groups, the second is far stronger and much better prepared to confront the realities of economic change, conflict, and hardship. These places are also better prepared to develop new opportunities because they are open and willing to listen, learn, and grow.

Truthfully, I find both voices in most places. The question is which is voice is louder and takes precedence? Which description best fits your community, region, or state?

The choice is ours in terms of how we want to be. I celebrate the enlightened joyful leader who understands the need for gratitude and kindness in economic development. I have compassion for the suffering leader, who shares his suffering, rather than his joy, with others.

Leaders in any community have a choice on how they want to be. Given the choice between suffering and joy, I will take joy any day.

My advice to communities for 2006 is quite simple: "Create a joyful environment and prosperity and abundance will take stronger root in your community." It's worth a try. Don't you think?

No comments: