Friday, December 31, 2004

Reflections on 2004

To say that this past year was probably one of my most memorable ones, is probably an understatement. It was memorable from a personal, professional and business standpoint. Milestones were set, not only by me, but also by a number of the key people that I’m with each day. It was an incredible year!

From a personal standpoint, everyone in my family is healthy. Our twin sons are both doing well as juniors in high school, even though girls are now a bigger part of the daily scene. My wife, Betinha, and I have transformed to living on Lake Sara for a full year. We love it, even if the winters get a bit long at times. I’m typing this as I watch dozens of geese and ducks in the midst of their annual migration, out on the water in front of my study. A fisherman just zoomed by. With temperatures in the 60s, it’s hard to believe that it is the end of December.

The publishing of Boomtown USA has exceeded my expectations. It is gratifying to see the stories and message of the book embraced by so many. When we were discussing doing this project at Agracel, I don’t think that any of us envisioned how well the book would be received. I’ve been overwhelmed with the reception that I’ve gotten as I’ve traveled around the country, touring towns, meeting economic development professionals, entrepreneurs and civic leaders and learning of the many wonderful steps that so many communities are making to create opportunities for their citizens.

Agracel has continued to grow and is setting new records in virtually every metric that we monitor. Team Agracel has stepped forward in their usual “Can Do” manner, not missing a beat with me being gone traveling around the country. They’ve continued to develop new building projects, creating job opportunities in the many agurbs® in which we work. I just hope that they have something for me to do when I get done with my travels, because it is very obvious that they are doing wonderful things without me. I hope that they are having as much fun as I am.

And, finally thanks to all of you who read this message. I’ve really enjoyed getting to know many of you during this past year. You’ve taught me a lot and I am very thankful.

No comments: