Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Agurbs® in “America’s Switzerland”

After doing my talk in Spokane WA on Friday, my wife and I were planning on going to Coeur d’Alene and Sandpoint, Idaho, two of my golden eagles or top 100 agurbs® in the country. But, the weather forecast was for a snowstorm of 12 to 14 inches of snow. We almost cut our trip short and headed home early. I’m glad we didn’t. The weather man was wrong and we had a great time.

Both agurbs® were unique in their own way, offered some fantastic natural beauty, and showed me some additional, wonderful examples of how local or transplanted entrepreneurs can transform a community for the better. One of these entrepreneurs you’ve probably never heard of. The other’s catalog is probably sitting on your coffee table.

The two towns, located in the northern panhandle of Idaho, are about an hour apart. This area of the country has often been called “America’s Switzerland” with beautiful natural lakes that sit at the foot of soaring mountains. It offers four seasons, but with a winter season that isn’t as brutal as you would imagine at its latitude.

No comments: