Saturday, November 13, 2004

Seeding Small Towns

Thanks to all of you who are sending me emails. I’m really enjoying communicating with so many people who are passionate about small towns in general, and their town in particular. I’m learning a lot.

This week I got an interesting email from Debora Dragseth, a professor at Dickinson State University in ND. She’s got a very interesting idea about how to repopulate dwindling towns, “There is another community that I read about that brings in little kids via an aggressive program of adoption. I think it was a town in Texas as well……that's a concept that I would like to explore the economic impact of in small communities. There are 1/2 million foster kids in the U.S. right now and 1/3 of them will never go home and they will never be adopted. Imagine the impact on a town of, say 5,000, if 5-10 new little kids were brought in and the community helped pay the costs ($3-5,000 in many cases--lawyers, agency fees, etc.) The diversity impact would be stunning as well.”

Very interesting idea! What do you think?

No comments: