Friday, November 12, 2004

Can Do Blue Earth

Yesterday afternoon I flew into Blue Earth, MN for a tour, dinner and talk. This is a town that has very aggressively and successfully recruited a number of late 20s and early 30s aged young people back to this town of 3500. Blue Earth is a town that is confidently preparing for the future. It is a town on the move.

There are a number of locally owned businesses in the banking, telecom, manufacturing and retailing sector that are investing in the community and it shows. Their downtown is the best that I’ve seen in a community of this size. It would be the envy of many towns three times its size.

High paying jobs are still of concern, as they are in many towns, but with the spirit that I saw displayed by the 200 people at my talk last night I think that you will be hearing more about Blue Earth. The name of the town, by the way, comes from blue clay that the Indians found on this spot many, many years ago.

No comments: