Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Tired of Mudslinging

I’m sure that many of you are as tired of this election season as I, especially those of you in “swing states”. I’ve been avidly following the various races, especially those in my home area. But, today I was sickened with how ugly campaigns can become.

In my hometown we have two very prosperous business people running for the job of state rep. Each of the state organizations has poured over $500,000 into each campaign, a huge amount for a seat like this!

Today I listened to one of the candidates berate the other for being “greedy”. Amount his numerous offenses, cited by his opponent, was his being awarded $7 million in state contracts to the construction company he is a part owner of. He neglected to mention that these contracts were won via bid and that they provided tens of thousands of days of work

That a supposed “business friendly” candidate would make this type of charge is very disappointing. There is enough suspicion of business from the uneducated who don’t understand economics and often want to believe the worst, without it being flamed by a supposedly “pro business” candidate. Shame on him!

I’m off to Branson, MO tomorrow to give the keynote talk at the Ozarks Regional Economic Development Conference, a regional economic development event. I should be in a much better mood after I get a tour of that great agurb®.

No comments: