Friday, October 29, 2004

Branson--An Incredible Story

I was in Branson on Wednesday, Tulsa on Thursday and Caruthersville, MO today. I’ve been on the run and had some computer problems but hope to catch up this weekend with details of what I found on the trip.

Branson was incredible. While I’d been there before, this was the first time that I got a “behind the scenes” tour. I also spoke to an eleven county economic development group. Each of those counties, some over 50 miles away have been positively impacted by the live music cluster of Branson.

Branson has 49 theaters with 56,000 seats (more than are on Broadway). It has 17,000 hotel rooms (more than in Kansas City). It brings in 7 million tourists per year. They are doing a $300 million TIF district that will include a 220,000 sf convention center, a 260 room upscale hotel, and a Bass Pro store. This booming agurb® of 6,000 has 1,000 members in their chamber. There is a real entrepreneurial spirit in the town.

More tomorrow on Branson.

No comments: