Thursday, November 09, 2006

USA Today Weather Map

“Eureka, SD (population 988) is always on the USA Today weather map,” someone from the town told me recently at one of my talks. We were talking about the fact that Al Neuharth, the founder of USA Today when he was president of Gannett, was born and raised in Eureka. He has returned to the town and bought several houses, including the old family homestead, painted them all red, white and blue and spends several weeks each year in the town with his young family.

When I checked out the USA Today weather map I found not only Eureka, SD but also Eureka, CA (population 25,579) and many other small towns scattered throughout the USA. Many were agurbs® like Elko, NV (population 16,685) which I toured yesterday and will blog on next week. Other agurbs® were Carson City, NV; Cedar City, UT; Bonners Ferry, ID; Branson, MO; Tupelo, MS and Ocean City, MD.

Other small towns on the list are Caribou, ME; Nags Head, NC; Atoka, OK; Fort Stockton, TX; Scottsbluff, NE; Miles City, MT; Rawlins, WY; Salina, UT and Ely, NV.

One of my goals is to find out how all of those small towns have their names prominently displayed in USA Today every day. If you know please let me know.

No comments: