Sunday, May 15, 2005

Sculpture Park Draw

This incredible sculpture park appeared in front of me as I was driving on one of the many back roads that I try to take as I am traveling around the country. I love to explore, finding out-of-the-way spots. The diversity and uniqueness of our country is incredible.

I had to stop, even though I was tight on time, and am glad that I did. I found the Franconia Sculpture Park (www.franconia.org) in Shafer, MN to have a wide variety of sculptures from various artists. The Park was founded in 1996 as a place where artists can exhibit their work, work on developing new pieces and meet other artists. There are over 75 sculptures on display on a rotating basis from local, national and international artists. They also host up to 25 visiting artists and provide internships for up to 15 new artists. Several symposiums, workshops and art festivals are held during the summer.

Why don’t other communities try to do something similar? Wouldn’t this be a great tourist draw to add to your arsenal?

No comments: