Thursday, March 24, 2005

Where the Antelope Roam, a Polo Cluster Develops

I was in Sheridan, WY this week giving a talk and touring this wonderful agurb®. Sheridan is nestled next to the Big Horn Mountains and the Big Horn National Forest, offering some spectacular views and great outdoor recreational activities. It has become a favorite second home location for many wealthy and famous people. As I drove from Casper to Sheridan, seeing hundreds of antelopes and other wildlife I could see why many have fallen in love with the area.

The town has a wonderful downtown area with a great deal of character. I saw only one vacancy, confirming its economic vibrancy. The historic Sheridan Inn, inaugurated in 1893 with Buffalo Bill, a part owner, leading the celebration adds a certain historical flair to the downtown.

As those of you have been reading me for awhile know, I’m fascinated with the impact of clusters upon an area. I found one of the most unique in Sheridan….polo ponies! Polo ponies! It started when the English road the railroad to Sheridan in the late 1800s looking for a spot to raise and train an abundant number of horses for the Boar Wars. They stayed, polo caught on and today several new polo fields are being constructed in Sheridan. Queen Elizabeth even visited the community in 1985 because of the town’s polo tradition.

I’ve got some other great stories from Sheridan that I’ll share in the next couple of days.

No comments: