Friday, July 08, 2005

The Ports—Angeles and Townsend

I was hoping to visit an additional two of my nine Washington agurbs® on our last day, but my 17 year old sons were wanting to get to some sites in Seattle, so we only briefly drove thru Port Angeles and didn’t get to see Port Townsend. We’d already driven 1000 miles in four days, so I didn’t press them on making a 50 mile side trip.

I believe that my sons are typical of many who grow up in small town America. At 17, the world is their pearl and they can’t wait to get away from home to the “big city.” I was just like them, never contemplating ever moving back to my hometown. I was off to see the world.

But, what I’ve found in my travels and research is that there often is a homing system that kicks in when you get to be 30 that makes the old hometown appear more compelling. It doesn’t happen with everyone, but when you start to look at where you are going to settle down and raise a family, the serenity and quality of life of the old hometown doesn’t sound too bad.

Back to my trip--Port Angeles impressed me. They’ve got a thriving downtown that sits right along the water. You could tell that the agurb® had a certain vibrancy as I drove thru it. I was particularly impressed with their murals and a small downtown park that I stopped long enough to get some pictures.

I hope to get back to both of my WA Port Agurbs®--Port Angeles and Port Townsend, in the future.

No comments: